|Pass the tissues mother!|
Hi there! With fan boyz everywhere freaking at the thought of FFG's impending X-Wing 2014 releases, many are intrigued as to how the introduction of capitol ships will add to the game's rules. And of course, what a frickin' immense site it will be to see these beasts on the table-top alongside swarms of Rebel and Imperial fighters. Ti's truly what this game was made for!
Last summer, the urge to explore this opportunity proved too strong and I started to trawl eBay for some suitably appropriate models to represent early examples of these behemoths in my games. From an Imperial perspective, some of you may recall this tasty little acquisition...
For Rebels, there was only ever one option; the Kenner Collectors Fleet Blockade Runner:
Upon opening the box, I was suitably impressed by the scale. It would look right at home alongside the X-Wing model range. Granted, whilst the model was nicely detailed, it did have a few minor 'toy' related elements on it that would need to be modeled out. The first of which were the rubber 'noise effect' buttons running down the neck of the ship. Fortunately/unfortunately, the buttons on my ship no longer worked, so I never did get to hear the 'pew pew' of the turbo lasers... Anyways, I ripped the buttons out and begun plasti-carding the area up to disguise the original detail.
The main modelling job would be to sort out the guns themselves. The model arrived with one snapped off completely and those that remained lacked any real detail or definition...
|The original (shoddy looking) gun barrels...|
|...carefully removed, top and bottom...|
|...holes drilled ready to receive the new gun barrels.|
Plasti-card rod would be used to form the main length of the barrels but I'd also need to utilise something to form up the muzzles. Inspiration strikes in the strangest of places...
|GW Chaos Marine vehicle ram...|
|...remove the spikes...|
|...and the gun muzzles reveal themselves ;) Drill em' out...|
|...using a fine saw, carefully remove them from the remainder of the model...|
|...mmm, tastes of hobby idiot...|
|...drill out the other end of the muzzle...|
|...the new barrels glued in place, with four new breaches to one side.|
Final job was to glue the new guns onto the main turrets. Having previously measured the plasti-card rod, I used an appropriately scaled drill bit to ensure they would fit nice and snugly in their new housing...
|The new gun barrels glued into place...|
|...looking good :)|
OK, join me next time in Part 2, where we'll be looking to paint this sucker and find a suitable stand to make this baby really fly!