Sunday 1 June 2014

Liebster Award

Liebster Award Hobby Before I Die!

Hobby Before I Die! has been nominated for a Liebster award :)

If you're into Lord of the Rings, the blog of my nominator, Who is Theodore Us, contains some great looking Middle Earth inspired terrain and LotR minis. Go pay him a visit.

As the grateful recipient of the award, I'm now required to choose a number of blogs to nominate in turn. I'd like to think each and every one of the blogs I follow offers up it's own great content on a wide selection of hobby and gaming topics. That said, the following are regular posters and continue to keep me entertained and informed. For your consideration, I give you:


Something's Wrong - Alongside his ever present Warmachine and movie review articles, Sining Ong also writes interesting articles regarding the state of the hobby Vs the consumer. Lifting the lid on poor service and unscrupulous Kickstarter and Industry asshats. Sining tells it straight and true. He also happens to hail from Singapore, which coincidentally is where by brother resides.

Monster 0 - An incredibly talented mini sculptor having commissioned for the likes of Soda Pop, Privateer Press and Cool Mini or Not. When it comes to Warjacks, Zombies and Relic Knights, Jason Hendricks is probably the man behind some of the most iconic minis you've seen in recent years.

John's Toy Soldiers - I may be breaking the rules here a little by nominating John's blog. I understand a nomination has to have 200 followers or less to qualify... But who's counting? No doubt afforded by his state of semi-retirement, John whips out posts at a prodigious rate. Covering everything from historical war gaming to day trips around the parks and estates of England. John is also a talented and well published fiction authour, as well as producing publications for the likes of Warlord Games (H.C. Britannia) and GW (Warhammer Ancients).

The Anarchy of Anton! - Ant works hard for his hobby. Whether it be churning out great looking painted armies or making awesome terrain. Ant's hobby table has always got something on the go. Having recently demoed a very impressive modern war table at this year's Salute, Ant and his gaming club, the Leicester Phat Cats, are next heading to the UK Games Expo to demo their Saga 'Viking Invasion!' game...


OK, with the nominations complete It's time to answer the questions:

Why did you start blogging?
Motivation. HBID! started as a way for me to turn overdue hobby ideas into reality. And for the most part, that's exactly what this blog has allowed me to do. But in a way initially unanticipated, I've managed to get much more out of being a blogger. I've really enjoyed the photography for one and I've also enjoyed the creative / editorial side of writing. Above all, it's been great to interact with other bloggers and share inspiration and words of encouragement.

If you could change one thing about the war-gaming hobby, what would it be?
Perception of the masses. On the inside, war-gamers and hobbyists populate a world of incredible creativity and imagination. We challenge our mental stimuli within the games that we play, the orders we execute and the dice that we role. And above all, we welcome any and all into our fold. Viewed from the outside though, we're all still pretty much just nerds ;)

What is best in life?
Family, friends, my guitar, feeling loved, doing something reckless or spontaneous every once in a while.

Do you want to live forever?
Of course! You could cock up as many times as you like and still have another go.

Fame or fortune?
If modern fame is anything to go by, it has to be fortune all the way. Of the many things I've dreamt about doing with pots of money, building a purpose built gaming hall in the grounds of the Tuscan country estate, is right up there.

What miniatures are you most proud of having painted?
It's usually the last thing I've painted. I was pleased with how my Kath / Krassis Fire Spray re-paints came out. I also like my Dystopian Wars Prussian Fleet, in particular, the big airship.

How do you deal with burn out?
I've got three young sons, a demanding lady and a job in an air conditioned office. I'm a husk of a man. I counter this by heading down to the studio with the band and smashing seven musical bells out of my guitar.

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
I looked this one up. Well you would wouldn't you ;). It would appear it still makes no sense. I would suggest this was because the talented Mr. Carroll was gliding the heavens on opium at the time.

Star Wars or Star Trek?
My god, Star Wars man! 

If you could only buy from one miniature company from now on, which would it be?
That's a tricky one. When I was younger it was all about the miniatures and in that sense, GW was king. Nowadays I also like the balance of a good / imaginative rules set to go with my minis and whilst this may be a bit 'flavour of the month', FFG's X-Wing is mighty hard to beat.


What is your favourite takeaway?
True to my English roots, I'd go with a traditional chicken balti and butter naan affair, from the Ashoka Restaurant in Brighton.



OK, well, I've completed my Liebster activities and will say a final thanks again to WiTU for the nomination. And also thanks to everyone that has, does and is going to stop by Hobby Before I Die! in the future. I hope you continue to enjoy your visit.


Cheers :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...